Friday, January 22, 2010

i love fantasy movies. in so many ways it's a chance to escape the realities of daily life and enter into someone else's world for a bit. i'm learning more and more about myself that, although i like to call myself a realist, sometimes i'm an escapist too and it's not always a good thing.

there's some sin in my life - okay, understatement - i'm messed up and struggle - and lately my struggle with sin, some particularly nasty sin at that, has got me looking to relocate. somehow the thought of being in a different space or circumstance has me imaging that things would be different.

in elementary school we used to do these exercises in math using the abbreviation LCD. we'd reduce numbers down to see just how low they could be taken without losing the relative ratio between the two. do you remember what that stands for? LCD is the Lowest Common Denominator.

no matter where my physical body goes, the reality is that I am the lowest common denominator in it all. stripped down to the most basic level of my being, my sin will not change with my circumstances. ya it might look different, but it's still ME and that i cannot escape. and i wasn't made to, because if relocation allowed me to escape, why would i need jesus? i cannot escape myself, because life is about learning to deal with sin and make the choice to say 'yes' to jesus in those times when i really just want to run away from it all.

fantasy movies are fun, they show you what the story teller wants you to see about the characters and the story. but those characters, on some layer, are just like the rest of us. the difference is we get to see a pointed snapshot into their lives.

i love rhyming, so this is what i will end with:

if the LCD is me then i need JC!!

1 comment:

Mark Bennon said...

LCD also means Liquid Crystal Display:

a digital display that uses liquid crystal cells that change reflectivity in an applied electric field; used for portable computer displays and watches etc.

anyways...I bought a TV this week.

your post reminds me of something M.Chandizzle said somewhere, if you aren't satisfied with Christ in your current circumstances, you won't be satisfied with Christ if your circumstances change. (paraphrased)