you know you've been mia for just a little while when your URL doesn't even recognize your own blog name when you start typing it in.
hey, i'm back. at least for a bit. ;)
i listened to a sermon today by john piper and it was SO awesome. lately i've been thinking a lot about the WORD and how i don't really spend time memorizing scripture. so when i signed up for the desiring god sermon audio by j.p himself, i immediately downloaded the talk named "if my words abide in you".
john doesn't beat around the bush. the first 17 minutes he spent quoting scripture. it was one of the most powerful and profound things i've heard in a reeeeeally long time. here are 8 points he made about memorizing scripture:
1. it makes meditation possible at time when you can't be reading the bible. meditation is the pathway to deeper understanding.
2. it strengthens my faith because faith comes from hearing.
3. it shapes the way i view the world by conforming my mind to god's viewpoint on everything.
4. it makes god's word more readily accessible in overcoming temptation to sin because god's warnings and promises are the way we conquer the deceitful lies of the devil.
5. it guards my mind, making it easier for me to detect error. the world is filled with error because the god of this world is a liar.
6. it enables me to hit the devil in the face, with a force he cannot resist, to protect myself and my family from his assaults. he's millions of times stronger than me and not only that, he hates me, my friends and my family.
7. it provides the strongest and sweetest words for ministering to others in need.
8. it provides the matrix for fellowship with Jesus because he talks to me here in the word and no where else.
good stuff, eh??
he said a bunch of other great stuff, too, but i'll leave you with this sweet thought:
God made us with a brain so that we can connect the words from the bible to our hearts and minds. In this process the Holy Spirit sanctifies us through faith in Christ!
The Podyum – On a Mission – Prague Lions
23 hours ago